Monday, February 24, 2014

Fleetwood Mac



Since my childhood I have been listening to Fleetwood Mac, and have loved their music ever since. For those who don’t know, Fleetwood Mac are a British/American rock band that formed in London in 1967. The band members are Stevie Nicks (vocals), Lindsey Buckingham (guitar, vocals), John McVie (bass) and Mick Fleetwood (drums). They have sold over 100 million albums worldwide. It’s quite interesting to learn about the personal lives of the band members and how their lives influenced their music. Lindsey and Stevie were dating before they entered the band, and they had their own band called Buckingham Nicks, but Buckingham Nicks were struggling to become successful.

Things changed for the better when drummer Mick Fleetwood went into their studio to meet with Lindsey and Stevie's producer, Keith Olsen.  Mick Fleetwood was looking for a guitar player, and Lindsey seemed like a good guy for the job.  Lindsey and Stevie were a package deal, and in order for them to have Lindsey in the band, they needed to take Stevie too.  Taking both of these musicians would be one of the best decisions that Mick Fleetwood ever made.

My personal favorite song is “Go Your Own Way”, which carries significance to Lindsey and Stevie. They used their songs to communicate their feelings toward each other. "Go Your Own Way" is about Nicks and Lindsey's crumbling relationship. Imagine singing this close to your ex:



It must have been tough going through a breakup while having to see the other person every day. It was one way for these two to communicate their troubles and their passion for each other. Here are some of the lyrics to "Go Your Own Way":

“Loving you isn't the right thing to do
How can I ever change things that I feel?
If I could maybe I'd give you my world
How can I when you won't take it from me?



-Chana Trappler



Image Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment