Monday, February 3, 2014

The Return


THE RETURN
            The music immersed the room as all backs were bent forward and their waists shifted from side to side. Sweat drenched each body and laughter filled the air. Seven days had passed since Aunty Bukky came home and everyone was here to see the baby. I heard the baby looks like his father…Babatunde. The kola nuts were out, we had the honey, salt, liquor, palm oil, sugar, water, and the atare. The baby was ready to be welcomed into the world. I had a name for him too, but only the adults were allowed to name him.
            “Temi, go and get your aunty,” my mom whispered into my ears.
So I left my seat and made my way to the room.  As I open the door, my aunt was standing at the window with the baby tucked between her hands. She smiled as the baby reached his tiny hands upward.
“Aunty Bukky, Mommy is calling you,” I said, regretful to interrupt such a beautiful moment.
“They must be ready for us, Tunde,” she said as she grabbed her baby’s outstretched hands and walked over to me by the door. I stole a glance as she passed by.  He was beautiful.
“Welcome back, uncle,” I whispered to no one in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment