Monday, May 12, 2014

Americanah


I remember my first time back in The States. I was fourteen and everything looked open and new; the green luscious trees, the shiny gray concrete streets, the fast food restaurants, and the big white and blue MTA buses intrigued me. Everything, beautiful and ripe in delicious newness, I became an Americanah.


The book Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie captures the story of a Nigerian. Ifemelu, the main character, got a student visa to the United States and became an Americanah instantly in the eyes of her friends and family. It is said that no one leaves Nigeria and comes back the same.

As the main character settles into her new environment, she meets different kinds of Americanahs. You could be an American African: born and raised in America, of African heritage and raised with African cultural ideals and values in the diaspora and you most likely go back to your country of heritage once a year. Or an African American, which is subdivided into two groups; a black person whose ancestors were brought through the Atlantic slave trade and a black person of African descent, who is raised with no African ideals or culture.

I just started reading this book and I can’t put it down. It is interesting how a book can tell the story of your life.

          – Eta Oyarijivbie



No comments:

Post a Comment