Monday, May 5, 2014

Discoveries: Sunday Morning Slow Jams, The Fountain of Youth, May Meteor Shower


I was scrolling through Facebook last week when I came upon this gem. It was titled: “Sunday Morning Slow Jams: Duck Tales.” Immediately, I was overcome with nostalgia (I’m so dramatic). I remember watching that cartoon with my younger brother, along with a slew of other throwback shows from the early 90’s. Do you remember Donald duck sliding down a mountain of gold coins in the opening song? Ahhh, those were the days!Jesus, I am getting old. Here is a soulful rendition of theme song that I’m sure will take you back to the days when we didn't even know what a term paper was:



I always look at certain celebrity faces (Pharrell, Gabrielle Union, Halle Berry etc.) and wonder why they haven’t aged in decades. Do they bathe in unicorn tears, or bask in the breath of angels? A new scientific discovery this week, found that transferring blood from young animals into old animals, can rejuvenate the tissues in the heart, and muscles in the brain. Scientists have found a way to separate a specific protein from the blood of young animals, so this may be the first naturally produced anti- aging discovery. It sounds gross and creepy to me, however, in our society, looking young is a big deal. I’d rather figure out where Pharrell buys his Fairy dust from before I indulge in harming animals for less wrinkles, and a sharper mind.


Everyone needs to dust off their telescope and find a roof in Brooklyn on the early morning of May 6th. Halley’s Comet is about to make it rain. Literally. The last time Halley had a visible shower in our inner solar system was in 1986. You don’t want to miss this one, or you’ll have to wait until the end of October to see it make it’s second orbit around the earth. I love meteor showers! I can’t wait!


Sources: www.Youtube.com
http://www.space.com/25752-halleys-comet-meteor-shower-eta-aquarid-peaking.html
http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2014/05/young-blood-renews-old-mice?rss=1

No comments:

Post a Comment