Monday, October 6, 2014

Currently Reading

Hello, Annaliisa signing on. This week my reading has been fairly sporadic, but a novel of Haitian poetry for one of my classes has truly caught my interest.

I am reading Ayiti by Roxanne Gay for my Diverse Women's Writers class. In this book of prose poetry, the author creates subtle and disturbing characters and events involving modern day Haiti. She juxtaposes Haitian American stories with the tales of tourists visiting the country. Here is an excerpt for the novel: 

They put a burlap sack over my head and shoved me into the backseat of one of the waiting cars. They told me, in broken English, to do as they said and I would be back with my family soon
The story of this kidnapped woman details her visit gone wrong, and her journey towards recovery. 
And the stories surrounding this one involve tales of Haitian children in America attempting to adapt to the society. 

The raw emotional energy of this piece is what attracts me to it so much. Every sentence is packed with impact, and the simplistic nature of the novel's syntax bring out its power. No embellished adjectives or lengthy paragraphs needed—this book is straight to the point. 

I recommend it!

Have a great week:) 
Annaliisa

No comments:

Post a Comment