Monday, October 27, 2014

Currently Watching



Currently Watching: “ A Handy Tip for the Easily Distracted,” by Miranda July


Currently, I am on facebook. I will then hop on over to Instagram and watch a few fifteen-second comedic videos. Next, I will be reading articles from CNN, Democracy Now, and possibly exchanging text messages with my best friend about my love life that suddenly disappeared. Meanwhile, I have a midterm and two papers due this week. I will get them done, but not without the unnecessary chaotic stimulation that I am a slave to.

This performance piece by Miranda July is from her full length movie, “The Future.” FYI, if you do not know, Miranda is an actress, author, performance artist, director and possibly a wearer of many more hats. I have not watched the movie yet, but this short piece is relative to my overall struggle with productivity. This short scene is basically a How to on removing the devices that hold you back from getting things accomplished. Even an object as simple a pair of tweezers or in my case, nail polish, can aid in procrastination. These hindrances do not hold power over you. You can put them away, or in this case, trap them. Since midterms are approaching, your precious thing can be your GPA and the possibility of it dropping can potentially be harmful to you. Either way, trying to stay focused under pressure can be very hard for people like me, who is easily distracted. So take a break from whatever it is that you were going to do or were doing, and watch this video.



-Bex






No comments:

Post a Comment