Monday, November 17, 2014




Bex's top five throw back jams:

As I get older, I realize how hard it is to keep up with what's hot in these streets. Quite frankly, I'm not really impressed with what's on the radio these days, so like the old man that I am, I have resulted in digging through my archives (cassette tapes and all) to relive the days of "Girl, that's my jam!"
First on my list is the one and only Queen Pen (ft. The lost Boyz), with "Party ain't a Party." Let me just state the obvious: The song is terrible and the video is tacky, even for the mid 90's. That doesn't mean that this song isn't the jam. The beat and the energy in the video is enough to warrant a two step and a possible one-legged booty turn.

Next up is a karaoke treasure. It is "Wonderwall," by Oasis. This song is the jam because everybody knows it, and can sing along to it. This song requires no vocal talent whatsoever, therefore making it one of the top songs sung at karaoke lounges all over the world (according to me). Side note: For my fantasy wedding, there will be karaoke and I will be singing this song alongside my life partner.


Third on the list is, The Smiths with "Girlfriend in a Coma." Morrisey can croon his way into anyone's heart. I love the straight forward lyrics in this song and of course, the title. Get into this jammy jam:

 The song "Ey Macalena," by Sambo Do Brasil, makes me nostalgic for my sophomore year in high school. I was in a modern dance class and I remember doing a dance routine to this song. Although I don't remember a majority of the choreography, this song arouses the off beat dancer within me, and it should do the same for you.

Lastly, "Breakdown," by Mariah Carey, is one of my all time favourite jams. Here's why: 1) Mariah's voice box is the manger that sweet baby Jesus stayed away in. 2) Mariah is a gorgeous bi-racial unicorn. 3) This video is everything. 3a) The fish eye lens epitomizes every late 90's R&B video. 4) You can only sing along (or lip sync) by holding one ear and using your note finding finger. 5) Bone Thugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment