Monday, March 23, 2015

Culture Corner 3.23.15


In case you didn't know, it's parade season. I'll bet you didn't know, because I think I've heard approximately none people talk about how psyched they are to go to a parade on the weekend. Parades are basically important to people who are involved in parades, and I happen to be one of those people. You see, in high school I was in the marching band because, as you may have guessed, I was unbelievably cool. I was a snare drum, or as we like to say, the rock star of the band. I've long since hung up my puke-green-and-mustard-yellow band jacket and put away my orthopedic marching shoes, but I go back to these parades often because my former band teacher asks me to and she's a lovely woman who needs the help.

There are a lot of groups involved in parades, but I'm going to talk about bands because that's all I know. Parades are actually like competitions for bands; each band in judged on their sound and formation, the precision of their lines, and if they perform a routine. I'm sure there are a lot of great bands out there for whom competitions like these are a very big deal, but we were not one of those bands. We were a Catholic high school band, which meant not a lot of funding, which meant we were wearing forty year old uniforms and playing instruments that literally crumbled to pieces in our hands. We weren't there to win, but no one likes to feel stupid, so it did and still does sort of sting when we see nice big bands, all smug with their shiny instruments and uniforms from this century.

But one thing that our little band has is heart, and a pretty good beat, too. These drummers all think they're Nick Cannon in Drumline, and they're not half bad. It's funny because all their marching songs are very traditional Irish and military songs, but this is really what they want to be doing:

   

I'm not sure why they're singing kids' songs, but I love how they take the old beats and make it their own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment