Saturday, March 21, 2015

Magic Hat 3.23.15


"Tussie-Mussie"
The language of flowers, sometimes called floriography, is a means of cryptological communication through the use or arrangement of flowers. Interest in floriography soared in Victorian England and in the United States during the 19th century. Gifts of blooms, plants, and specific floral arrangements were used to send a coded message to the recipient, allowing the sender to express feelings which could not be spoken aloud in Victorian society. Armed with floral dictionaries, Victorians often exchanged small “talking bouquets,” called nosegays or tussie-mussies, which could be worn or carried as a fashion accessory. (Wikipedia)
I am a daffodil
Blooming bright in the springtime
Burstingly alive
And garbed in yellow petals
Born of the sunlight
Sign of the changing seasons.
I am a gardenia
A white crinkled pinwheel of a blossom
Elegant, calm, collected
I perfume my whole world
So sweetly.
I am honeysuckle
Climbing my way to the clear blue sky
Permeating the earth unstoppably
Growing fast over broken brick walls
And making them beautiful.
I am mallow
I grow everywhere
Unaided by human hands
Exploding out of control with my many petals
Consuming everything in sight.
I am a morning glory
Wanting to dazzle the world
With my multicolored blossoms
But I curl back within myself so quickly
That you’d have to rise very early indeed
To see me at all.
I am primrose, I am phlox
I am aster and jonquil
I am red chrysanthemums and clove
I am a thousand thornless red roses
I am every color tulip.
My soul is overgrown with flowers
My nose is filled with aromas only I can name
My tongue is heavy
With a dead language.


No comments:

Post a Comment