Monday, April 27, 2015

Currently Eating 4.27.15


 Moules Mariniere

When I went to Paris for a weekend during my study abroad, I didn't eat very well. In a city known for its decadent cuisine, I was on a budget; the only time I splurged was when I was duped into buying a five euro bottle of water. So it was a ham and cheese sandwich served by a stereotypically snotty French waiter, a creme brulee in a very seedy restaurant, and vegan crepes made by my bed and breakfast host Cedric. All told, nothing to write home about. It wasn't until I got back to London, at a farewell dinner (paid for by CUNY!), that I got to eat some real, actually good French food. I don't remember the name of the bistro, but the dish was moules marinière, and I fell in love.

From BBC, but mine looked just like this, I swear.
I love mussels, and I love butter, and I didn't even know there was a recipe that combined the two! Here I was eating my mussels with tomatoes like an idiot! The moules marinière was served with pommes frites because it was fancy like that, and all I wanted to do was soak that delicious potato in every last drop of creamy goodness, and then wipe the bowl clean with like a whole loaf of crusty bread. I couldn't, because there were people around and I wanted to leave the restaurant with some semblance of dignity. But you better believe that once I got home I found this recipe and made all my dreams come true. The hardest thing about it was converting the measurements, but it was very much worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment