Monday, May 11, 2015

Currently Reading, Nabakov

Hey guys:)

Happy last week of school! This semester went jarringly fast in my opinion. And once we got to midterms I felt like I didn't even have time to breathe before the semester was over. Ah well, 'such is,' as my mother would say in her strange colloquial, yet universal side statements.

This week I've been reading a lot of text books once again, and desperately trying to come up with enough Neurobiology articles to compose my final reports. (I got dis). I think.

Along with these, I've been picking up Vladimir Nabakov's, "Laughter in the Dark." It's one of those dark and subtly catastrophic sort of narratives. The book is translated from the original Russian, and deals with a top vaguely similar to that in Lolita.
Yet in my opinion, the narrative is less dragging and more poignant in, "Laughter in the Dark." It is about an older man and his affection and co dependence on an equally co dependent younger woman. Margot is 16, and Rex is well into his middle aged years, working with film. Margot begins to love him and seek opportunity through their relationship. Eventually she fulfills her long time dream and he  puts her into a movie.
What ensues is basically some sort of strange love triangle between another man who attempts to steal Margot, and Rex. They dodge each other and go back and forth throughout the novel.

But to me the beauty of the work is found within the language. Let me give you guys a brief excerpt that will illuminate the presence of Nabakov's word usage.

“A certain man once lost a diamond cuff-link in the wide blue sea, and twenty years later, on the exact day, a Friday apparently, he was eating a large fish - but there was no diamond inside. That’s what I like about coincidence.”

Nabakov, "Laughter in the Dark"

Small tid bits like these that seem to shake your entire body with life force and truth are evident throughout, even amidst the arguably boring romanticism (if that's not your cup of tea).

Anyway, check it out. I doubt you'll regret it,

Annaliisa

No comments:

Post a Comment