Monday, October 5, 2015

Canvas 10.5.15


So, two weeks ago I had the Magic Hat column and posted an image that I wrote. It hadn’t occurred to me that I never explained the title, which is unfortunate because all it needed was a simple definition. I guess it’s really not that important, a simple google search would do, but now I can show you all the beautiful art of Kintsugi (Golden Joinery), or Kintsukuroi (Golden Repair, which is the name I rather prefer).



Kintsugi is the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery with lacquer mixed with gold, or sometimes, with silver or platinum. It’s also the name of the newest Death Cab For Cutie album, but that’s not important. What is important though, is the philosophy behind Kintsugi.




I wrote my story around the thought that how a person views theirself defines who they are. The philosophy behind Kintsugi looks at breakage as a part of an object’s history that shouldn’t be forgotten. Rather than hiding the the damage or throwing out the item, repairing the item with gold highlights the cracks, creating something beautiful out of something broken. Damage is just part of the lifetime of an object. You don’t need to terminate its use.




The mirror in my image embodies this idea, providing a physical representation of how something broken can appear beautiful. I personally think broken mirrors look really nice. They might be bad luck, but I’m the kind of gender non-conformant that keeps an open umbrella hanging from the living room window because I think it looks pretty.


The blood that enters every crevice of the mirror adds color to the image and shows that the protagonist has the capability of repairing something damaged, which is why it says, “thank you.” She just needs to view herself in the same way. Kintsugi embraces imperfections, and in the end I want people who read "Kintsukuroi" to do the same.

-Christian

No comments:

Post a Comment