Monday, October 12, 2015

Currently Eating 10.12.15



I love cookies. No, I don't think you understand: I frickin *love* cookies.

This is my face when I see any cookie:



And this is my face when I see a chocolate chip cookie:



And this is my face when I don't have any more cookies left:


I don't know when my addiction for cookies began. I wish I had a cool story of when I first tried a cookie and it felt so delicious in my mouth I just knew that it was a point of no return. I don't have that but it's okay, every time I eat a chocolate chip cookie, it feels like the first time. It's almost as if I had forgotten its deliciousness in the first place and eating it snaps all the neurons in my brain, making my taste buds shout: "holy hell! This is the most delicious thing we have ever experienced. GIVE US MORE!!!!"

That being said, I'd like to take this moment to blame my mom for my addiction to sweet things (hi mom!). Ever since I can remember, we would bake every Saturday. EVERY. SATURDAY. I am actually surprised that I am walking instead of rolling. Whenever I invited friends over to my house that is what we would do. We would bake. I know, I know, how crazy were we?!? We would stuff ourselves until we couldn't feel our faces. We would make each other promise that we would "work out" the next day and we clutched our bellies groaning, "I am never eating a cookie again!"  Only to repeat it the next week. And then the next week. Ah, I miss sleepovers.

So yes, I have eaten many, many cookies in my lifetime and that has made me quite a pro, if I do say so myself. But sometimes I don't have the time to bake. So where to go? What to do?! Below is a list of my top places to get chocolate chip cookies here in NYC for different occasions. I have limited it to this specific cookie because it's my favorite and well, it's my favorite.

1. Best place to go to when it's cold and you want to impress your foreign friends with the best chocolate chip cookie they have ever tasted: Jacques Torres Chocolate in Dumbo. There are probably other locations you can go to, but this is the only one I know and it has never failed me. NEVER.

Pro's tip: get the chocolate chip cookie heated up and go to Main Street Park to look over beautiful Manhattan.

2. Best place to go when you're in Brooklyn College and just neeeeeeed a cookie fix and pronto: That cookie stand in the cafeteria next to the register and beware! Do not confuse them with the oatmeal raisin cookies. These are okay, not the best, but much better than the Chips Ahoy! you can get at the vending machine, for much less of the price.

Pro's tip: get two instead of one cause it's embarrassing to go back to get another one, especially because the people who work at the cafeteria know that you are getting a second serving and they will tease you.

3. Best place to go when you're feeling fancy and want a little twist on the originalKonditori. Order the brown sugar and sea salt chocolate chip cookie. It's a bit pricey for the size of the cookie but trust me, one is more than enough and the sea salt adds a great twist to the palate. There are locations in Williamsburg, Park Slope, the East Village, and more importantly, there is one right around my house.

Pro's tip: order this one with some coffee. They have delicious coffee.

4Best chocolate chip cookie to give as a gift when you forgot someone's birthday and don't have a lot of money with you: Lords Bakery & Photocakes. These are as big as your face and taste quite good. And bonus - their location is right next to Brooklyn College!

Here is the proof!
5. Best recipe for when you do have the time and the ingredients: the Original NESTLÉ Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies. Use this recipe with caution. They are highly addictive and I know you think you can give them to the people in your next meeting or class but YOU WILL end up eating them all (that is, if you're anything like me). 

Pro's tip: chill the dough for several hours and then bake them for only 8 minutes in the oven and then put them in the broiler for a minute or two so that they can get golden at the top and moist in the middle. 

Well, there you have it. You probably think I'm a little crazy but that's okay, I like living life on the edge ;)




- Alana

PS: Here is a photo of me as a child just in case you needed more proof of the extent of my sweet tooth.


No comments:

Post a Comment