Monday, October 26, 2015

Currently Eating 10.26.15



I am up to my ears in Charles Dickens.

It's slowly beginning to invade most aspects of my life. I find myself randomly quoting chunks of his prose, and calling my daughter "Little Nell." "Go Suck A Dickens" is what I yell at my kindle when I need a break from the heavy lit.

However, one thing has quite stuck with me in a very entertaining fashion. Wemmick (from Great Expectations) and his "portable property."

Everything has become portable property. When I cart around my puppy? Portable property. My iPhone? Jewelry? Tatty old paperback of Sherman Alexie poems? Portable property.

How is that related to EATING, you ask?

It's my FAVORITE portable property.

I know my favorites by feel alone. I swear, if I were Mr Rochester, and Jane Eyre was a freaking oatmeal raisin cookie? I could find that forgotten soul with one arm, no sight, and hear her call to me across ALL THE HEATHER FIELDS. 

"Is that you, snickerdoodle?"

But here's the thing; about 6 months ago I became a vegan. Making cookies--good cookies--vegan is NOT easy. Trust me. However, I have found myself a loophole!

The brownie mix cookies I made before becoming a vegan are dead simple to veganize.




Easy as heck to make.

You'll need:
1 box of Betty Crocker fudge brownies
the liquid from one can of chickpeas
1/2 cup peanut butter (creamy)
2 tbsp oil
3 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375F
combine wet ingredients until smooth. 
sift in dry ingredients. 
scoop onto lined cookie sheet. 
bake 10 minutes
press tops down with the bottom of a glass sprayed with cooking spray.
serve at room temp.


- C

No comments:

Post a Comment