Monday, October 19, 2015

Currently Listening 10.19.15



I love musicals and I think you should too. When I was around seven, my parents took me to see Little Shop of Horrors on Broadway and although maybe they could have started me off with something a little lighter and not about a murdering plant, I loved it.  As a lot of us know, Broadway plays are yet another thing in New York City that has become too expensive for anyone but tourist like Yankee Games and the train. But fear not because the sometimes-y genius, Ryan Murphy, gave us Glee. I'll refrain from my comments about his lack of character development and plot holes because this is "Currently Listening". So this is just about the music, man. Just about the music. 


As annoying of a character Rachel Berry is, she is undeniably the best singer on the show or at least one of the best. Amber Riley's character, Mercedes, was actually just as good if not better but she didn't get as many solos, or plot lines for that matter. Why? I don't know, man. I don't know.  Actually, I  know why but anyway, here's Rachel singing "Don't rain on my parade":


Wasn't that good? It was so good. Here's one of Mercedes' solos:




We don't have to compare and contrast these two which was something the show was constantly doing and this amongst other overran and reused plot lines is what led to its downfall so let's just bask in the greatness that is both Rachel Berry and Mercedes Jones. They actually did a duet once. Once. Could you imagine having both these amazing voices on your payroll and only putting them together once in a five/six season series? 
"Take me or Leave me" from Rent


 
(By the way, I absolutely adore Rent)

I hate to make this just about Rachel and Mercedes because there were so many talented performers and amazing performances on Glee but if I talked about them all we'd be here forever, so I'm going to leave you with a few of my favorites and let you know the entire series is on Netflix.


-Chante











(I think I failed to make this just about the music)



No comments:

Post a Comment