Monday, October 26, 2015

Currently Listening 10.26.15



I dream in English.

In rare occasions I will dream in Spanish. And sometimes I have these dreams in which I speak a language fluently - a language that I do not know in real life. It has happened in French and German and both times I was surprised in my dream that I was able to speak it and both times I was extremely disappointed when I woke up and learned that I couldn't.

But mostly I dream in English. Which is highly convenient because I like writing in English and I find myself inspired by my dreams constantly. However, I have a hard time remembering them and so I try to record them as much as I can, either in writing or in using the voice recorder on my phone. I am by far a better story teller in writing than in speaking. So, I do not know why I always think that recording my dreams as soon as I wake up is a good idea. I make no sense whatsoever.


I have absolutely no idea what dream this was. Or what I was saying. Or why I thought it was a valuable dream to record in the first place. The only thing that is understandable in my recording is "purse" and "nothing much happened." When I write my dreams down they make much more sense. I jot down all the details I remember, I describe as much as I can, I reconstruct it bit by bit - namely, I am awake. I don't know if you could tell in the past recording, but I would fall asleep and then I would wake up and then I would fall asleep again. Nobody needs to listen to that (although, I am sorry I just made you). But imagine, imagine doing music with your dreams. Now that is something inspiring to listen to. 



In this song, for me, Fleet Foxes is able to put together the feeling not only of dreaming but of waking up and wanting to say everything that happened in it and knowing that it is quite impossible. I love the imagery of the dream, such as "Eucalyptus and orange trees blooming," that is juxtaposed with the uplifting beat. It translates to a sense of wonder and magic that we can only get in dreams but that we can "hardly contain." All our lives we will try to recreate, even remember, those memories - there's a hope that we will be able to attain it. 

Flying Lotus' album Until The Quiet Comes is inspired by "strange dream experiences I’ve had that have been—otherworldly... I wanted to make a record that was kind of dreamy, like a lullaby: magical, ethereal, like dream sounds—I got inspired by what else was out there. I think that's what my sound is like." The 4 minute short film inspired by three songs of his album embody just that:


Erykah Badu's voice singing "dream of love and light and laughter" juxtaposes with the strong images of the film. The song, holds you captive - it's a dreamscape sound, pulling your heartstrings, letting you know that even in death one can "dream of love and light and laughter" no matter how cruel the real world is. 

Lastly, I will leave you a song from The War on Drugs' album, Lost in a Dream. It is one of the few albums in which I like every song. I like to listen to it while I bike across Prospect Park because it makes me feel that I am experiencing a dream in real life. I get lost in their lyrics and rhythms, in their sounds, in their reverie. 

This song isn't about a dream. But it invokes a dreamy sound - a flurry of guitar chords and ethereal vocals take you to a creative space where everything and anything seems to happen. We just have to try to "not to crack, under the pressure" of real life. 

In short, record your dreams. You never know where they might lead you. Even if you make no sense, it might trigger your dream memory. And to be honest, it's quite meta to be currently listening to your own dreams.

-Alana 

PS: If you wanna learn more about dreams and how our daily lives affect them, I suggest you listen to RadioLab's Dreams. They report on a study done by a professor who records people's dreams after they have played a video game during the day. The results are very impressive. 



No comments:

Post a Comment