Monday, October 12, 2015

Currently Watching 10.12.15


Since we’re riding up on our last holiday until Thanksgiving and our weeks are starting to fill up with classes and work, I thought I’d tell you guys about a little thing you can watch if you really need to take a break from it all.



Kung Fury is a Kickstarted short film that parodies 80s martial arts and police action movies. Set in 1985 Miami, a police detective kung fu master, haunted by his past and unhappy with his current working situation, tries to leave the force, but not before the office gets a phone call from Adolf Hitler. He then needs to travel back in time to the 1940s to kill Hitler, who happens to also be a kung fu master called The Kung Führer. The movie is as ridiculous as it sounds. It’s chock-full of cheesy lines, action, and some of my favorite puns to ever come out of anything (like, I mean Kung Führer? You can't find that anywhere else). If you really want a good laugh and all of that sounds like your jam, I really suggest that you check it out. Here’s the trailer:


The film goes from 0 to 100 in a matter of seconds and by seconds I mean seconds from the moment you press play. (***spoilers, I think?***) That first scene in the trailer is the first scene in the movie.

Can you explain to me what's happening here?
What I like about this movie the most is that it doesn't hold itself back; it feels a lot like a story a child wrote to share with their friends and I mean that in the best way possible (check out Axe Cop). Do you remember making up stories with your friends in elementary school, trying think up the coolest situations possible, or was that just me? The film is just as sporadic and just as fun.

Yes, that's David Hasselhoff riding a dinosaur.

Not only is this film really fun, a lot of work was put into it. Despite the Kickstarter campaign reaching three times its goal, they still had a rather small budget and most of the film had to be shot in front of a green screen. Something I found really cool about their production was that they only had one cop uniform and instead of getting more, they shot several people in that uniform and placed them in the scene in post production. The same goes for the Nazis in the later scenes. Miniatures were even used to animate things like the arcade cabinet in the opening scene. 


If you ever have thirty minutes to spare, a great way to spend that time is by watching Kung Fury. Did I also mention that it was released on YouTube and Steam, free of charge? 


-Christian

No comments:

Post a Comment