Monday, November 16, 2015

Currently Eating 11.16.15


The past two weeks of my life have been straddling a thin line between utter trash and a tad better than okay. I know, that doesn't seem to make much sense...let's just say I feel like a sentient robot. Good and bad things happened to me, but there seemed to be this push and pull of positive and negative emotions that I mostly stood right in the middle, staying long hours at school, my body owned by time.
I haven't really been experiencing much in any meaningful way.
I stopped going to the gym and focused on schoolwork instead. I came home too late and too tired to interact with my family, my friends, and my boyfriend. I stopped cooking my lunches for the week and ate the cheapest shit I could find. I was surviving long periods of time on Trident and Poland Spring.
Then, one beautiful morning, I realized I had no obligations.

It was time for oatmeal.

Oatmeal has a special place in my heart. It always comforts me, reminds me of my childhood when my dad would, at night, make the best oatmeal. Yes, nights - I have no clue why it became a thing in our house for him to make oats at night but it did and it was AMAZING. The oatmeal was always cooked slow, with whole cinnamon sticks and whatever other magical ingredients he put in the pot to make it a batch of heaven.

So after two weeks of not feeling like myself, of course I was gonna turn to some comfort food that would set me right.

It tastes better than it looks, okay?

This is some busy oatmeal; nothing like my dad's recipe but it tastes just as good. I eyeball everything when I cook, so don't expect this recipe to help you that much - luckily it's a dish you can taste as you make it without fearing salmonella.

For this yummy breakfast you're gonna need:
  1.  Some steel cut oats
  2. About twice to three times more water than oats
  3. A good amount of milk (can be coconut, soy, almond....I've used pistachio milk before.)
  4. A little bit of quinoa (if it's laying around your house)
  5. Some ground flax seeds
  6. An apple - I never care what kind of apple it is or what size I always find a way to put a whole apple in my apple oatmeal.
  7. Cinnamon. I like lots. You may not.
  8. A bit of allspice.
  9. Some ground nuts (I use my almond-cashew-walnut-pecan-pistachio blend)
  10. Sugar or honey to taste if you like.
When you have your ingredients, boil the oats (and if you've got it, quinoa) on high heat for like....5-10 minutes? Then, when you can tell the oats are softening, turn the heat down to medium-low, add your milk, flax seeds, nuts, spices, and whatever sweetener. Chop the apple to your liking, but don't add it in yet unless you want applesauce in your oatmeal. Cook the oats for what will seem like way too long. I usually just let it s I can before I'm too hungry to wait anymore, which is probably like 15 minutes. Turn the heat off, and fold in your chopped apples. 

Finally, wait for it to cool a bit and eat like you haven't had a real breakfast in days!
I mean, that's what I did.

- Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment