Monday, November 2, 2015

Currently Watching 11.2.15

Á La Fin De L'aube (At The End Of Daybreak)

-Aimé Césaire, Cahier D'un Retour Au Pays Natal





 Do you see the world as it is? 
Or do you see the signs?  
The marvelous, trapped within the ordinary. 


After reading this I hope that you do.  
What is it that I am currently watching at the moment? 




I am watching the signs. 




 I tend to see the world a little differently at times. 

When I see "the signs" I can't help but wonder how much they mirror what I'm feeling or what I'm experiencing.  





On my way to and from work I always "look" for the signs in the same way that the characters in André Breton's surrealist novel Nadja  did.  They found beauty in the most simplistic, everyday things. 

I see the same signs over and over again even when I change my route, it's as if they're following me.




The signs tend to mimic the direction of my thoughts.

When I am alone walking with my thoughts, I am accompanied by my only friends,
my music and my headphones.





Despite the music my mind wanders off to the work of Aimé Césaire.  His book length poem Cahier D'un Retour Au Pays Natal (Notebook Of The Return To My Native Land) begins to flood my thoughts flushing out the sounds of the music.




Césaire was also a surrealist (a black surrealist and an instrumental figure in the Négritude movement).  His poem expresses the alienation he felt upon returning to the island of Martinique.  
I compare his alienation and his solitude to my late night walks home from the train station.  
As I walk, I watch the signs and I feel as if they imitate my confusion, my emotions and my own personal struggles.  







When you walk around this city you can not just simply look. 
You must train yourself to see.




Beauty is like a train that ceaselessly roars out of the Gare de Lyon and which I know will never leave, which has not left. It consists of jolts and shocks, many of which do not have much importance, but which we know are destined to produce one Shock, which does...The human heart, beautiful as a seismograph...Beauty will be CONVULSIVE or will not be at all.” 


“I am the soul in limbo.” 
― André BretonNadja


“All my life my heart has yearned for a thing I cannot name.” 



“...with the end of my breath, which is the beginning of yours.” 



“There is no use being alive if one must work. The event from which each of us is entitled to expect the revelation of his own life’s meaning - that event which I may not yet have found, but on whose path I seek myself - is not earned by work.” 


“I am concerned with facts of quite unverifiable intrinsic value, but which, by their absolutely unexpected violently fortuitous character, and the kind of associations of suspect ideas they provoke.” 


“Do not make me into that man of hatred for whom I feel only hatred.” 


“Alas! There's no one in hell ... all the devils are here!” 
― Aimé CésaireNotebook of a Return to the Native Land



“A game: say something. Close your eyes and say something. Anything, a number, a name. Like this (she closes her eyes): Two, two what? Two women. What do they look like? Wearing black. Where are they? In a park. . . . And then, what are they doing? Try it, it's so easy, why don't you want to play? You know, that's how I talk to myself when I'm alone, I tell myself all kinds of stories. And not only silly stories: actually, I live this way altogether.” 
― André BretonNadja





“Beware of crossing your arms in the sterile attitude of the spectator, because life is not a spectacle, because a a sea of sorrows is not a proscenium, because a man who screams is not a dancing bear.” 





   Everything is beautiful, and there is beauty in everything.
            It all depends on how you choose to see the world around you.
Stop looking and see.







Qui suis Je?
(Who Am I)

                                                      ― André BretonNadja 








One Love,
Lisa Del Sol

No comments:

Post a Comment