Monday, November 23, 2015

Currently Watching 11.23.15


Cartoon Network and I go way back, so far back I can't even remember when we first met. CN's just been there for everything, you know? Cow and Chicken, Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, The Powerpuff Girls, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, Teen Titans, even that wack ass Totally Spies that taught me I can enjoy things ironically...

The list goes on and you get the picture; Cartoon Network and I are really old friends.
But, over the years...the love between us just hasn't been the same...I've sensed a change. Cartoon Network always had nonsense shows - I mean, Cow and Chicken is a prime example - but as I've gotten older I've found that more and more shows are nonsense. Now, you may think, "Hey, maybe you just think they're shittier because you're older." But I'm here to tell you...nah.

They're shittier.

I have a 15 year old little sister and a 9 year old nephew, and we share one TV in the living room, which means I never stopped watching Cartoon Network.

Never.

I can look back on all the old shows I once watched and see that there was a bunch of rubbish, but still less *super-random-bright-colors-nonsense-quick-and-easy-humor* stuff than there is now.

And I get it - kids like silly stuff, nonsense is hilarious. But shows can still be silly and funny, while being smart and teaching lessons and all of that good stuff.

Still, that doesn't mean Cartoon Network is all crap.

There have been shows that my little sister once liked that I liked (Total Drama Island, a parody of reality TV shows but for the kids) and shows she liked that I couldn't stand (...My Gym Partner's A Monkey, a piece of trash). But that was a few years ago; she's older now and spends most of her time in her room on Instagram and only comes out to watch The Voice or America's Got Talent or America's Next Top Model.

The new kid show commander is my nephew, and boy do I have some feelings about the stuff he watches on Cartoon Network in 2015.

Some of it is just...not okay. See: Teen Titans Go! (a.k.a., to most Teen Titans fans, a travesty)Uncle Grandpa, Clarence -- and then some of it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!
TERRIFIC!

LOVELY!

SO GOOD!

Steven Universe is one of those shows, but because there's already a post about it on this blog I'll direct you to my other fave - The Amazing World of Gumball.


The Amazing World of Gumball is...well, amazing. It's unique and fun not only in its silly yet smart comedy but in its visuals, employing different animation techniques and styles simultaneously. The show focuses on a cat named Gumball and his adventures with his former-pet-now-adoptive-brother Darwin, who is a goldfish. It's weird, but a good weird...just watch one of my favorite episodes (it's only 10 minutes) and see for yourself.

- Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment