Monday, December 7, 2015

Currently Watching 12.7.15


The semester is almost over, so you know what that means? Time to reactivate your Netflix accounts and get to work! Here's what you should start with:


I don't want to spoil anything but Jessica Jones is a great show.

Here's why:

She fights crime in crime fighting appropriate clothing. No ridiculously uncomfortable-looking shoes for this girl jumping across buildings and chasing people at top speed. I'm looking at you, Avengers.

Her motives are completely selfish all the time and I know that sounds like a bad thing but it's not. Of course she cares for people, she's human, but she also cares for herself which is... like...new for female characters who are supposed to be seen positively. I don't know why, but anyway, Jessica is the best and she doesn't apologize for it which is, like, so refreshing. 

The show's antagonist's super ability is mind-control and she's recovering from her year-long relationship with him, where he made her do things she didn't want to do. Trigger warning: The show is not afraid of the R-word. 

The same woman who played Trinity in The Matrix is Jessica's boss and she's supposed to be a bad person. She actually is a bad person, but like she's also still Trinity from The Matrix and she's high-powered and mean and when you watch it, you'll know why else I like her character. She's bad news but in like a lovable way. 

But back to Jessica Jones.  Her super ability is super strength and although there are some inconsistencies along the way with this (I'm not going to lie), she's a very well written character. 

In fact, she reminds me of my favorite television characters of all time, OF ALL TIME:

Dr. Cristina Yang
#Notallheroeswearcapes

Cristina Yang is an inspiration and I'm so glad I got to grow up with her. No, seriously. If you want to talk about somebody not apologizing for being the best? Sheesh. But she's not just some super human great robot. She cries. She loves. She hurts. She wins. She loses. Also she drops bars. Here are some great Cristina Yang quotes that better explain what I'm trying to tell you:


MY FAVORITE. Gosh, when she said this to Meredith, I lost it. Tears man, just tears.



Cristina Yang is no longer on Grey's Anatomy but her character was so strong her presence is still felt. She will live forever in my heart and on Netflix.

As we're nearing the end of the semester and final exams and papers begins to hurt and you don't know how you're going to make it through, ask yourself: What would Cristina Yang do?

-Chant

No comments:

Post a Comment