Monday, February 29, 2016

Currently Eating 2.29.16


When I think weird, unique Filipino dishes I think dinuguan. Now I mean, I can talk about chicken adobo instead because that’s the staple in any Filipino household, but I don’t want to. I’m sorry. Not Sorry.


Dinuguan is a stew typically with pork or other pork related items, simmered in pig blood. I know what you’re thinking. “That’s not kosher!” Well it’s also not vegan. Oh, wait. You said it sounds gross? Well it really isn’t, but maybe that’s just me growing up filling my plate with that delicious stew over rice. In fact, my sister compares it to mac and cheese in flavor (Personally I don’t get that comparison but if it makes dinuguan sound more appetizing just imagine you’re eating a bowl of dark brown mac and cheese).


If you can believe me, dinuguan is a really nice dish and one of my favorites. Here’s recipe!
Ingredients
  • 2 lbs. pork shoulder, cubed
  • 1 lb. pork large intestine, cleaned thoroughly (optional)
  • 1 to 1½ cups pig blood
  • 2 to 3 pieces banana pepper
  • 2 thumbs ginger, minced
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 6 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
  • 2 cups water
  • ¾ cup cane or white vinegar
  • 1 piece pork cube (optional)
  • 3 tablespoons cooking oil
  • Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Heat the oil in a cooking pot.
  2. Saute the garlic, onion, and ginger.
  3. Add the intestine. Saute for 3 minutes.
  4. Add the pork. Cook until light brown.
  5. Pour the water in and add the pork cube. Let it boil. Simmer until the pork becomes tender.
  6. Pour the vinegar in the cooking pot. Let it re-boil.
  7. Add the banana peppers. Cook for 3 minutes.
  8. Stir-in the pig blood and make sure to continuously stir during the first minute to avoid the blood from forming. Cook in low to medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
  9. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  10. Serve with puto. Share and enjoy!
That last step says, “serve with puto.” It’s not what you’re thinking. Puto is a steamed rice cake. Welcome to my confusion as a young child. "Did you just call him a rice cake?" Most of the time, no. No they didn't.
-Christian

No comments:

Post a Comment