Monday, February 15, 2016

Currently Listening 2.15.16

Dear Hypersensitive America...

Beyoncé is not racist.
Beyoncé does not hate the police.
Beyoncé was not incorrect/ inappropriate/ or unjust.
I cannot believe that I am actually writing this blog post. I cannot believe that I have to come here and state the obvious. I thought that I would be able to just share my thoughts on music, perhaps introduce you guys to a couple of cool new artists... But in my heart of hearts, I guess I always knew I could not just ignore the elephant in the room. They have been coming for Beyoncé ALL WEEK... So now I feel that I must come to her defense. HOWEVER rather than assume the role of 'Angry Person of Color in Perpetual Victimization', or 'Bloodthirsty Keyboard Warrior Operating from Mom's Basement', I've decided to simply derive and prove some facts like the ones listed above. It is my hope that by focusing on lyrical content, haters misguided audiences can look beyond mere visuals, and into the heart of Formation.
Although I have never heard Beyoncé say that she hates white people, or that she hates the police, I have heard her say that she loves her identity and her family, and of course, that she is a BOSS!

 When he f*** me good I take his ass to Red Lobster, cause I slay

When he f*** me good I take his ass to Red Lobster, cause I slay

If he hit it right, I might take him on a flight on my chopper, cause I slay

Drop him off at the mall, let him buy some J's, let him shop up, cause I slay

I might get your song played on the radio station, cause I slay

I might get your song played on the radio station, cause I slay

You just might be a black Bill Gates in the making, cause I slay

I just might be a black Bill Gates in the making

Here, Beyoncé turns misogynoir on its head by reversing the male/ female dynamic in relationships, sex, and socioeconomic status. She's letting the world know that SHE will take him out... IF he does his job right. SHE has the power to get his song on the radio IF SHE so chooses. Finally, although he may be a "black Bill Gates" in the making despite his race, SHE may do the same despite both gender AND race. The commodification of male as opposed to female sexuality, and the subordination of a man's wants, needs, and livelihood work together to put Beyoncé on top.

 I'm so possessive so I rock his Roc necklaces

My daddy Alabama, Momma Louisiana

You mix that negro with that Creole make a Texas bama

I like my baby heir with baby hair and afros
Here, Beyoncé exemplifies her love of both her family of orientation, and her family of procreation. She is both proud of her heritage, and aware of the power she and her husband possess. Also, and perhaps most importantly, she is aware of the power her daughter will inevitably possess, and the way her image will influence/ be influenced by that. 

Okay, okay, ladies, now let's get in formation, cause I slay
Okay, ladies, now let's get in formation, cause I slay
Prove to me you got some coordination, cause I slay
Slay trick, or you get eliminated
Here, Beyoncé is fearlessly and shamelessly showcasing her position and power by repeatedly invoking the word 'slay', which according to Urban Dictionary means to be sexy, to dominate, and to "succeed in something amazing". Beyoncé's varied use of slang throughout the song further solidifies her affiliation with various social groups (Impoverished, Black, Feminist, LGBTQ), and their causes.

Beyoncé is an activist.
Beyoncé loves her identity and her people.
Beyoncé has an opinion, a voice, and POWER.
Okay, so this blog post is slowly but surely becoming a dissertation [Sorry!]. Although this meager analysis is just the tip of the iceberg, I think it will suffice to say that there is much more to Beyoncé's Formation than critics and haters are willing to acknowledge. And so I charge you, oh lovely faithful reader/ contributor/ friend, with the responsibility of watching Formation [again]. This is undoubtedly Beyoncé's most opinionated and politically charged music video to date. Let us not miss what she has to say. Let us not forget that she does indeed slay!  


Also, I think SNL did an EXCELENT job explaining what it is about Formation that has so many people hating dazed and confused... Check it out, guys~ "The Day Beyoncé Turned Black"... Coming to theaters [and racists] near you!


P.S.
~ The submersion of a patrol car, and armed officers' submission to a dancing child do not equate disdain or hate for authority.
~ "Stop shooting us"... Pretty valid request, I think.
~ A blonde weave does not subvert black identity.
~ And finally,
Ya'll haters really are corny with that Illuminati mess...
- Clinton


No comments:

Post a Comment