Monday, February 8, 2016

The Canvas 2.8.16


I will openly admit to anyone that asks that I have no idea how to use Instagram. I understand the basic functionality, but I don't really get it in the way that everyone else seems to. That being said, I use Instagram everyday, and I use it almost exclusively to look at pictures of dogs.

By far my favorite dog instagram is The Dogist, a Humans of New York style blog that posts pictures of dogs out for walks in Manhattan along with their name, age, and usually some tidbit about the dog.

I have a soft spot for dogs wearing shoes.
While the idea of The Dogist isn't particularly unique, the photographer behind it, Elias Weiss Friedman, has a talent for capturing each dog's personality and his photography is quite good.
Lucy seems like she's got an attitude.
In addition to providing people with daily doses of cute dogs, The Dogist also works with several local adoption agencies. Often, photos of adoptable dogs are posted to The Dogist's 1.8 million Instagram followers. Posts like these publicize homeless dogs and encourage adoption.
They look like teddy bears.
Similarly, The Dogist started the Give a Dog A Bone project. Proceeds donated to the project are funneled into shelters, and bones are given to shelter dogs in each benefactor's name. So far, about six thousand dollars have been donated to New York City area shelters.
I really love The Dogist's work; it's a genius combination of many internet favorites (dogs, heartwarming stories, New York City, HONY) and it's an easy way to brigthen any day. You can find The Dogist on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook, and in Friedman's book, The Dogist: Photographic Encounters with 1000 Dogs. 

With that, I will leave you with a personal favorite photo from #Jonas2016
I'm jealous of these children.
-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment