Monday, March 28, 2016

Currently Reading 3.28.16





I've been having a tough time reading for fun lately. More than lately. It probably started shortly after I became an English major. I sit down with a book and I promise myself: I won't underline, I won't skim through an accompanying essay, I won't read reviews, I won't look up the author's biography, I'll just read it. I haven't kept that promise in a while. This sounds fake-braggy but really it's a problem. Reading used to be a lot of fun for me and although I still enjoy it, (for the most part)  it always becomes somewhat of a project. For example, I saw Carol over winter break which led me to read the book it was based on, The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith, which led me to this really cool article about why Highsmith published it as "Claire Morgan," which led me to Patricia Highsmith's afterword in the 1990 publication, which led me to look up what "congenital inverts" were and who Sarah Dunant was (a reporter hell bent on Highsmith "coming out" after the republication) and by this time I've forgotten what the book was about. It's okay, I'll read it again. It was lovely. 


        

However, to fight this, I've been reading graphic novels. I thought the pictures might help, might stop me from needing to find something else, something after. So I started with Maus I and II:


And then Fun Home:


Skim by Marika Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki:


Diary of a Teenage Girl by Phoebe Gloeckner:


Blue is the Warmest Color:


And finally, some X-Men:


Well, after all of this, I still do the same things with one exception: I can't underline. However, it has been a fun ride!

-Chante

No comments:

Post a Comment