Monday, March 14, 2016

Currently Watching 3.14.16

"Montagination"


Have you ever wished that your life were like a movie???
I know I sure have!!!

Lately, I feel that I am at a point in my life that's so... Meh. Nothing interesting, exciting, or awesome seems to be happening. I mean, I'm content with my past, I guess. I'm also really looking forward to the future~~~ graduate school, travel, adventure! But as for this moment- this "in-between"... It' so tedious. I just keep thinking "When will it end?!" All I do is work and study... Talk about boring! I wish there was a way to speed things up... If my life was a movie, that is just what this part would be- a montage! A way to experience all the significance of these moments in-between without actually having to force myself to live every dull moment of it.

And so now, I share with you a countdown of some of my favorite montages~~~

3. The Breakfast Club- We Are Not Alone

I remember the first time I saw The Breakfast Club. It was so hard for me to believe that a movie all about some random kids complaining about their parents could gain so much popularity and critical acclaim. How naïve I was... This movie is genius. This scene is genius. Five kids transcend the confinements of their Saturday detention and obviate the boundaries of their prescribed social identities. However, a two hour block of angst is broken up with this awesome dance scene that symbolizes the decimation of the status quo, and the birth of new friendships.

2. Sister Act- Just a Touch of Love

Christianity is not about closing your mind. Christianity is about opening your heart. This is so beautifully illustrated here. A church that had so thoroughly alienated itself from its community was able to gain more followers, spread the gospel, and truly help people by simply embracing that which it had condemned- by seeking reformation rather than judgment. Sister Mary Clarence's (Whoopi Goldberg's) style and ideologies relate to so much more than song and dance and church- they relate to life. Just a touch of love~~~ that's often all that is needed to turn a bad situation into a blessing.

1. Mulan- I'll Make a Man Out of You

Swift as a coursing river. With all the force of a great typhoon. With all the strength of a raging fire. Mysterious as the dark side of the moon... I often wonder if I am all these things- something arcane and powerful that can only be described in terms of the forces of nature. It sounds beautiful... but impossible. And yet, if there's anything I've learned from Mulan, it is that nothing (or at least very little) is impossible. In this case, the best man for the job was a woman. This woman stayed true to herself, protected her father, honored her ancestors, and saved all of China. Perhaps with a bit of creative thinking and ingenuity, I too can be a swift, strong, mysterious force of nature! ... If only I could do so in three minutes and thirty seconds with Donny Osmond singing in the background... *sigh*


***Addendum***
Perhaps my yearning for "montagination" of my current state subverts the very purpose of montage. A montage is so much more than a sequence of images that depict a passage of time... A montage- like those listed above- is commemorative, symbolic, phenomenal.

Therefore,

I will respect
I will cherish
I will live
Each moment...

~ Clinton

1 comment: