Monday, April 4, 2016

Currently Listening 4/4/2016








Why are people so nostalgic about music, particularly R&B music from the 1990's?

I personally think that it was the moment that R&B music made an undeniable mark, it was the moment that it solidified itself and made an impact that we are still feeling decades later. It created a formula and you know how the saying goes " If ain't broke don't fix it."

It created a blueprint and this is the result of it. Take a listen to the 1994 classic "If You Love Me" from the R&B group Brownstone.



Now take a listen to the Canadian Bredren Tory Lanez with his 2015 single "Say It."




To me, it's so much more than simply sampling. Music from the 90's had a groove, it had a feeling, it has something that I can't quite put into words but when I feel it, I know it.


Another classic from the 90's comes from the beautiful and talented Aaliyah. I consider Aaliyah to be both a musical and fashion icon (her style is still mimicked by artists today). Aaliyah passed away at the age of 22. Despite her tragic death her music and her legacy still lives on. Take a listen to the song that is still on heavy rotation in my iPhone. Aaliyah's "One In A Million."



Now take a listen to the 2015 hit from Tink entitled "Million."


Another awesome group from the 90's is the R&B group Xscape.


And here is Charles Hamilton with his hit  "High."



There is a reason why we keep going back to the 90's....even if we don't want to admit it. I hope that you enjoy my mini-compilation of songs that I can not live without. And remember, if the love doesn't feel like 90's R&B, you better exit stage left.



Mary J. Blige "Real Love"
(1992)

The Notorious B.I.G. "One More Chance" (1995)
I know this isn't R&B, but it definitely has that vibe.

TLC "Creep" (1994)

The best to ever do it. 
Whitney Houston with her hit "Exhale"(1995)

Now here is Aaliyah with my all time favorite R&B song EVER! (Are You That Somebody?") Aaliyah's impact is heavy despite the fact that she wasn't around very long. 
She still has people sampling her vocals and her style fifteen years after her death.

Zendaya (2013)        Aaliyah (2001)


Keke Palmer (2015)            Aaliyah (2001)


"Are You That Somebody" (1998)
This song is a masterpiece to me.
I hope that you guys enjoyed this journey to the past.












One Love,




Lisa Del Sol






No comments:

Post a Comment