Monday, April 4, 2016

Currently Reading 4.4.16




I used to be able to write short stories, but I got into the habit of expanding those works. That habit evolved into me becoming a writer who only produces full length books. 
I miss being able to write short stories, so I've been spending a lot of time examining them recently.

My classes expose me to a lot of short stories, and these works have been helping me get back into the swing of things. When reading these, I pay attention to how the authors have made sure they wrote a work that could stop. That's something I have major problem with - I have no idea how to stop sometimes, and when I do stop with a story, I find that it often feels unfinished. Here's a list of the ones I've been reading and re-reading:


The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie
In Cuba I Was a German Shepherd by Ana Menendez
Axolotl by Julio Cortazar
This is What It Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona by Sherman Alexie
Speechsounds by Octavia Butler
The Sack by Namwali Serpell
Victory Lap by George Saunders
Brownies by ZZ Packer
and
The works in the short story collection Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri



Hopefully you'll find these works as interesting and helpful to you as they are to me.

- Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment