Monday, October 31, 2016

Canvas 10.31.16


Erma

Hello everybody. It's Halloween and this week I'll be writing about (supposedly) dark and spooky things. So now I have to jog everyone's memory a bit. You know that movie The Ring which people made out to be some super creepy film? Mind you, I don't like horror movies one bit. If anything I prefer my movies mild and sweet.

Anyways, the artist known as Brandon Santiago began a weekly online comic strip a few years back called Erma. It's a slice-of-life about a girl named Erma, who is the daughter of Samara from The Ring.
This is Erma

I've gotta say it right now, but I've been a fan of this series for as long as I can remember. When I made a Tumblr I immediately followed Santiago. I once shook his hands at one of those NYC Comic Conventions. I just found out he has an entire volume of Erma published too (time to order this on Amazon ASAP).

I first discovered Erma on Facebook (much to my vexation because somebody I'm not on good terms with shared it on their wall) and looking back at that, I really do appreciate this comic. It's light-hearted and funny. The character Erma never speaks but Santiago is able to project her voice through her silence. Humorously, her shenanigans (she can phase through objects, float, and use psychic abilities) are often what drives the plot forward. There was a time when Erma tried to drive her babysitter away using her powers. It backfired, and Erma ended up with a best friend (albeit an older one). However, even this supernatural, ghostly-girl is a regular girl (she has this secret love for our equivalent of Barbie, much to her chagrin) who lives a relatively normal life.

Here is that first comic strip which catapulted my love for this series.


Santiago has been posting drawings daily for the past 13 days in celebration of Halloween. These are currently my favorite.

That dude gave me nightmares.

You can find Santiago here and here.


-Onur A. Ayaz




No comments:

Post a Comment