Monday, October 31, 2016

Currently Listening 10.31.16


Greeting, Boylan Blog readers! :D
Today, I ask you to join me as I take a trip down memory lane...

Sounds like Childhood Spirit

(This is an attempt at creating a "cool" title-- A play on the title Smells like Teen Spirit... A song I have played in Rockbound, but have never actually listened to. For this, I am sorry.)

In order to get the full experience of this trip, I ask that you press the play button on the embedded video below, keep your arms inside the vehicle at all times, and allow yourself to become lost in the timeless rhythms of my childhood.


Growing up, I had an INSANE love of video games. I honestly do not know where I would be today if my family had not had a Nintendo Entertainment System (NES), Sega Genesis, and Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) (sequentially) at some point or other in my household.

Believe me when I say that my love of video games has only been occluded as a result of my inability to manipulate time, forcing it to standstill whilst I collect all the Chaos Gems in the universe and repeatedly hit M. Bison with a Spinning Bird Kick right in the kisser- !!!

(This is Chun Li. This is her Spinning Bird Kick. M. Bison is dutty. He killed Chun Li's father. He deserves this Spinning Bird Kick.)

I mention those three home entertainment systems in particular because I feel that they were the most essential to my early childhood, and also because I feel that later consoles such as the Sony Playstation and Nintendo 64 (I did not GameCube. I did not Xbox. Nope. Seriously. I know.) lacked/ lack a certain cadence...

I mention these three home entertainment systems in particular because I feel that the titles released for these consoles captured a very special auditory moment in video games. Back in the day, before graphic design and cinematography technology were advanced enough to provide the backdrop for deep dramatic tales, video games had little or no story. With virtually no explanation or motivation as to the plight of pithy protagonists, gamers simply gamed-- ducking into drainpipes and shooting ducks with a semi-realistic looking rifle that would no doubt be the subject of heated debate today. The MUSIC, however, made up for this.


There's just something about these old video game songs, man! They created a much stronger gamer/ game connection than any flashy cinematic ever could! ... In all honesty, I may be romanticizing the sound of them. They could just be a product of crappy budgets, or low grade music production technologies... The songs are sooo simple, after all. But the way these songs make my feel when I hear them, it's... Indescribable. Inescapable. Irreplaceable. (I'm really in an alliterative mood today, guys. :D)

That Sonic the Hedgehog 2 soundtrack you're listening to right now (Provided the link still lives. Also provided you actually followed my instructions >_>.)... I wonder if it means anything special to you. For me, each tune is something precious. I can hear any of these tracks anytime, anywhere, and instantly envision the stage it belongs to. It's a beautiful thing.

I always have several tracks from video games in my music library. Occasionally, someone will question me: "Why does that sound familiar?" When I respond "Guile's theme, Street Fighter II," the person will either give me a blank stare, or a spark will appear in their eye, and we'll spend a brief moment basking in the bliss of a soundscape reminiscent of a simpler time.


For those of you who are wondering/ interested, the best video game soundtracks EVER are Super Mario Bros. (original), Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Street Fighter II, and Super Mario World.

I hope you've all enjoyed our little trip!
I sure know I sure have! :D :D :D
I don't wanna go back... ! :(

~ Clinton

No comments:

Post a Comment